Wednesday, 26 November 2014
Rubicon Tiger Review, PT1
Detail is very crisp, tools are moulded with good depth and relief, and the Engine decking is handled well. It would be utterly be fantastic if one of the aftermarket companies such as Eduard brought out a photo etched upgrade set with engine grills, but I suspect that's wishful thinking!
After much pondering I've decided on building a late production vehicle with steel road wheels, late style turret with square loaders hatch and sliding Cupola, as well as Zimmerit anti magnetic mine paste. This was applied to all mid and late production Tigers. One hurdle in this though is the kit doesn't come with Zimmerit! I think Rubicon was wise to do this, as plastic Zimmerit doesn't tend to look that good in my opinion, and is relatively simple to apply, just time consuming to apply.
To make the Zimmerit I use pretty much the same techniques as was done on the real vehicles. I apply white Miliput applied evenly approximately 1mm deep along the the entire length of the surface to textured, leave it approximately 20 minutes for the Miliput to harden, then use a razor saw to add texture, dragging the teeth of the blade along for around 2mm. I then change the position of the saw slightly to add some variety to the texture pattern. It's very tedious, however does look good. The whole model too around 2 hours to Zimmerit, but I think it was worth the effort.
That concludes part one, and so far I'm thoroughly impressed.Come back soon for part 2, with extra coatings of Dunkelgelb and Michael Wittmans!
More info on Rubicon models can be found on their website, here http://www.rubiconmodels.com/
And as always any comments or to see more of my work check out https://www.facebook.com/VolleyFirepainting